Over the past several years, a growing number primary care practices have been adopting and implementing a more comprehensive approach to primary care defined as the Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model.
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), along with the CAHPS® Team, developed the CAHPS Patient-Centered Medical Home Item Set to assess the opinions and experience of patients, the. This Supplemental Item Set is added to the core CAHPS Clinician & Group Survey (CG CAHPS) and referred to as the CAHPS PCMH Survey.
PCMH CAHPS Survey Objective
The PCMH CAHPS Survey, which includes the CG CAHPS v2.0 and PCMH Supplemental Item Set, was developed to consistently measure and compare patients’ overall experience and ratings of care received within a patient-centered medical home environment.
Healthcare organizations may use survey results to:
- Support NCQA PCMH Recognition Program
- Support internal or external quality incentive or pay-for-performance programs.
- Benchmark and report findings at the group, practice or clinician level.
- Identifying strengths, weakness or areas for improvement by key items or survey measures
- Promote internal discussion of outcomes and quality improvement planning
CAHPS PCMH Survey Topics
CG CAHPS 12-Month Survey with PCMH Items
CG CAHPS V2.0 core survey content includes the following measures and key topics:
- Access to Care
- Provider Communication
- Rating of Provider
- Care Coordination
- Office Staff
- Health Status
- Mental and Emotional Status
- Demographic Items
The CAHPS PCMH Supplemental Item set for adults includes 6 questions.
The CAHPS PCMH Supplemental Item set for children includes 10 questions.
Additional or custom questions may be added to address specific topics of importance or relevance to the practice.
SPH Analytics CAHPS PCMH Survey Solution
SPH has been conducting the CG CAHPS and CAHPS PCMH Surveys since their release for healthcare organizations across the nation.
In keeping with your goals and objectives, SPH will work with you to determine the most appropriate sample strategy, timeline, mode of data collection and report deliverables for your organization.
SPH can conduct the survey using all acceptable modes of data collection including mail, telephone, IVR, internet or a mixed methodology.
SPH survey management and services include:
- Exceptional project management and customer service
- Strict adherence to survey guidelines and protocol requirements
- Weekly email updates and reminders
- Online reporting tools and analysis to include dashboards
- Compliance with data submission requirements
- Lessons learned and best practices
- Comprehensive reporting and analysis to include quality improvement targets and insight
CAHPS® is a registered trademark of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).